Topic ClosedWet Plate Workshops in Phildelphia and Yosemite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Subscriber
Subscriber

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet Plate Workshops in Phildelphia and Yosemite
    Posted: 17 March 2009 at 13:42
Just a reminder that I have two introductory wet plate collodion workshops coming up in the next few weeks. The first is at Project Basho in Philadelphia on March 28-29 and the second is for the Ansel Adams Workshops in Yosemite April 10-12. There are one or two spaces still available in both workshops. If you've been curious about trying the wet plate process, come join us. A good time is guaranteed! Email me with any questions you may have.
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 11:25
The sold-out workshop in Philadelphia last weekend was a success! The weather was partly rainy, so we did most of the shooting inside. We used one of the Fotodiox lights recommended by Robert (I ordered one when I got home on monday) and we rented a couple of Kino-flos. Frankly, both worked better than I expected! Exposure times ranged from 15 sec to a minute. For close-in work, the Fotodiox gave the shortest exposures. I am hoping students will send me scans of their plates that I can post here. I've put up some pictures from the weekend on my website.  Next week, Yosemite!!
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
admin View Drop Down
Adminstrator
Adminstrator
Forum Board Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:15
Very cool Kerik! Congratulations! 
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 15:23
Kerik, I'm glad you got the chance to use the Fotodiox lights. I don't know what they are charging for them now but a year and a half ago you couldn't beat the price for the amount of light they put out. I have 3 of them. I find they work even better with the soft box and the baffles (diffusion panels) removed. The silver inside of the soft box helps direct the light a little better. With a lens at f6 I'm getting the exposures down to 10 sec. I have yet to use all 3 at once so I don't know how much shorter I can get those times down to. A Kouklis workshop at Project Basho is always a good time. Tsuyoshi is a great host. Plus he knows where all the great restaurants are. It looks like he has done a lot to the place since I was there.
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 16:28
Robert, yes, Tsuyoshi has done a lot of work on the place in the last two years. Always moving forward. The current price is $135 for the Fotodiox units. Can you tell me what bulbs you are using? Can you post a plate or two that you've made with these lights? There are definitely some great restaurants nearby. We had Indian, Burmese, and Tapas while I was there. Yum! 
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 16:31
BTW, the pictures that show someone on Tsuyoshi's laptop screen are of a Japanese Daguerreotypist who was watching some of the workshop live on Skype. Tsuyoshi would walk him around and show him what we were doing. Gotta love mixing 19th century photography with 21st century technology!
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 18:27
Kerik, If my memory serves me well I think they were about that same price almost 2 years ago. The soft box was only 50.00 more if I'm not mistaken. The bulbs at 1000bulbs changed after I bought mine. They went to a 30 watt bulb that was a little larger in diameter. I bought the old 30 watters that were a little slimmer. The new ones wouldn't allow you to use the 30 watt bulb but the 27 watt fit. Now with that said, you may want to call them because someone told me that they are carrying a slimmer 30 watt bulb now. Contact 1000bulbs.com before you buy. But they had the best prices that I could find. The ones I use are 5000K. A lighting engineer told me they are closer to a northern light type spectrum than the 6400k. He said 6400k is fine also but its closer to resembling a midday sun. How true this is?... I don't know but the 5000k work great by my eye. All of the my plates worth posting are at Hiram College right now. But I'll be at home for a couple of weeks. I'm having surgery Friday (ouch) so I'll be at home recovering. I'll break out the lights and shoot some more. I want to use all three lights anyway and see what kind of exposure times I get. I'll have to get someone with a scanner to scan for me as I now have a newer computer and my old scanner isn't recognized. I tried downloading newer drivers but to no avail. I'll try to have some samples by early next week. I'm anxious to shoot some plates. I've done nothing but print platinum for the past two months. There may be a couple of shots in the archives here that I made when I got the first light. I'll search and try to find them. One is of a half empty bottle of scotch and a nosing glass ( because it was the closet object at hand when I was looking around the room to something to shoot) :-) Robert
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 18:33
Ha! That's the Robert I know! Thanks for the info on the bulbs. As for your old scanner and new computer, you should try using Vuescan (www.hamrick.com). It will recognize scanners even when the drivers won't load or aren't present. I have a new Vista64 machine that would not run a firewire Nikon 8000. I loaded up Vuescan and it saw it right away.

Good luck with the surgery! Face lift or just a nose job? :-)
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 18:48
Kerik. Thanks for the tip on Vuescan. The surgery is nothing serious. As a matter of fact it is the third surgery of this procedure. I have been contemplating this for years. I finally finished my hormone therapy and as of Friday I will finally be the gender that I should have been born with. Roberta
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 18:52
!!!!April Fools!!!!!
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 18:55
Actually its a sinus lift with a bone graft and implant to hold a bridge in. The sinus has worn the jawbone away over the years. The story to the doc was I had sinus trouble years ago. Of course I didn't give him all the details what caused it. I'll just say here that I've never had an allergy in my life and leave it at that. So I guess it is somewhat of a nose job in a way. LOL
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 19:01
So, looking at 1000bulbs.com, there are these:

and these:

Seems like the 27 watt are a bit larger than the 30. In any case, looking at the pic here:

There seems to be plenty of room between the bulbs...

Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 19:02
LOL!!!!! Good one, Roberta!!!
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 19:02
Man, talk about going off topic...
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 19:04
LOL!!! I should have let it ride...LOL
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 19:06
I'll measure the ones I have. I have both 30 watt sizes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>