Topic ClosedHiram College one day crash course in wet plate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Subscriber
Subscriber

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiram College one day crash course in wet plate
    Posted: 05 May 2009 at 18:00
I had previously agreed to do a one day demo for Hiram College's Chemistry Dept.'s class " The creation of the Image". But I stuck my neck out even further by suggesting we include the students making an image also. Professor Andrews immediately jumped at my offer so the demo was to turn into a crash course one day workshop. I later learned that it was a class of 20 students and the deal was to try and get each student one good image in the span of only 6 hours. Now there was no way I was going to pull this off without help. So to the rescue came our forum's own Toydesign. Without Greg showing up this would not have been possible. So I want to make a public thank you to Toydesign who brought out extra dark boxes and cameras and gave his time in helping me make the day a success. I would like to also add he did this for no compensation what- so- ever. So I pledge any assistance should Greg need help with any workshop in the future. I am at his beck and call. So all of you in this forum should take pride in yourselves, because it is rare that you find so many people, so willing to help others as you find here. So thank you all on this forum who have helped me as I continue to learn this process and a special thanks, to Greg. You saved my ass man. Robert
admin View Drop Down
Adminstrator
Adminstrator
Forum Board Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 00:56
Great story. 

Greg has always been a kind and gracious person in my mind. I've never had the opportunity to meet him (in person), but maybe some day.
Bruce Schultz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 11:20
It doesn't surprise me. From the time I was around Greg at Coffer's, I found out he  eager to offer help.
zmanphoto View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 13:53
He was my neighbor at Coffer's 2 summers ago.  I agree with the above statements and then some. Greg is a great guy. 
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 08:17
As I said it was a very successful day. The following day I varnished all the plates and delivered them to the class. The students were still all abuzz about the process, claiming it was an experience that will last a lifetime. The C.C. Davis camera and the HBH lens performed beyond my expectations and with a little hand- holding almost every student's plate came out beautifully. By 2:30 in the afternoon we had met our goal of an acceptable plate for each student's portfolio. From 3:00 to after 5:00 I was surrounded by faculty, continuing  to answer questions I actually got to shoot a couple of plates as a demo for them. They were as impressed as the students. So all in all it was an exciting day for all involved.
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 08:45
 A few of the students plates after varnishing. file:///Users/robertpuckett/Desktop/IMG_0327.jpg
quinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 09:05

Nice! They look interesting on the newspaper.... thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
Euphus View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 12:13
Greg is a GRrrrreat guy !
 Post Reply Post Reply