Forum Home Forum Home > Workshops & Events > Workshops & Demonstrations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Last U.S. Demo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Last U.S. Demo
    Posted: 28 June 2006 at 08:59

Well, I did my last demonstration last night for the Northern Utah Photo Group at the Brigham City Fine Arts Center. It was very exciting and I had a great response. They are a fine group of people.

It's amazing to share this process and allow people to realize that there are alternatives (no pun intended) to what's going on in the world of photography today. Even if they are not photographers, it's still very rewarding to show people you can do whatever it is that you want to do... my fortune cookie at the restaurant the other day said this, "Reasonable people endure; passionate people live," that's what I want to do!

Showing a nice 5" x 7" BGA portrait of Rob, one of the attendees.

Lori (an attendee) sitting for a negative. The inset image is the negative, pre-fix. Rob said he
will print it for the group. I left two BGAs and this negative for the group.

One of the most boring things for me is to attend a "lecture" and not be able to be involved
somehow. Graduate school has pushed me "out there" and ALL of my demos involve the
audience, it makes a huge difference and shows the attendees that ANYONE can do this process.
Rob flows his first plate. He said he's been thinking about this for "years." He
poured an excellent plate and we made Lori's negative on it!

Rob using the "waiter-tray" method. He did an amazing job! Didn't spill a drop and made a
very clean plate!

I made the plates in the open shade between 7PM and 8PM, facing west. It was hot (90F+) but
had NO veiling or fogging issues at all.

Getting ready to make the negative.

Watching Rob's BGA coming up in the fix.

My gratitude and thanks goes out to Gary Hurst, Dan Smith, Rob, Lori and the entire photo group. Thank you!

(P.S. Rob, if you're on the board, will you post images of the plates we made, I didn't get any last night. Thanks!)

Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
toydesign View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 09:08
Very cool ! I hope you continue to post photos from workshops/demos as you move into the "European market".... I love seeing the documentation of your demos....

Best of luck with the move !

-Greg
-Greg

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity"

"Great artists doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."
quinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 10:13

Thanks Greg. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy them! I will definitely keep posting these.

I owe a HUGE THANK YOU! to my daughter Summer and wife Jean. Without them, NONE of this happens for me!! Summer shot all of these photos for me last night and Jean is always shooting photos, holding plates, watching gear, making sure I'm hydrated, etc.. I love them very much!!

Cheers!
Q

Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
christina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 10:56
Quinn, it's fantastic you have such a loving supportive family, (and I'd been wondering who'd done such a good job of documenting the whole thing!) I wish you all well on your travels, I may have to make a trip to mainland Europe one of these days! all the best Christina
quinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 11:46
Thank you Christina.

I would like to visit Bishop Stortford, Hertforshire, do you know where that is? It's where Archer was born. It would be great to do some wet plate work in the place where he was born or in London (on Great Russell Street in Bloomsbury) where he setup studio and "invented" the wet plate process. I've been to London, but I didn't visit these places, but I will.
Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
christina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 12:23
Hey Quinn, you must let me know when you plan on coming over it'd be great to meet up - I've never been to Bishop's Stortford myself, so maybe that could be a meeting point! (As far as I'm aware it's a small market town pretty close to London).. I'd really like to go to Kensal Green Cemetery, the other end of his life journey I guess.. As I'm sure you're aware Sean MacKenna's website features a collodion image taken by Sean of where he's buried.

Best wishes Christina

WarEaglemtn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 13:37

I was at the demo Quinn did in Brigham City. It was much different than many demonstrations/lectures I have gone to. Most I have attended have something happen, especially the computer based stuff as it never quite works right.  Everything in his demonstration went off without fail. Smooth, well prepared and the weather cooperated for the outside portraits.

If you have a chance to book Quinn for your group it is well worth the time, effort and cost to get him there. The enthusiasm he has for his work shows and his explanations are clear and informative.

You folks in Europe better get him booked for some workshops and demonstrations. It is a positive experience.

WarEaglemtn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 13:39

I forgot to mention... Quinn was another in a long line of excellent speakers and presenters to our Northern Utah Photo Club. The list includes Tillman Crane, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee, Craig Law, Kent Miles and a number of other photographers with excellent work.

If you don't get great programs like Quinn better get on the ball as a lot of the top people are available and appreciate an audience who hungers to see their work.

quinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 14:52
Thank you Dan! I appreciate the support and kind words. I had a great time!
Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
Robert Hall View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 16:41

I wanted to thank Quinn as well.

What a great presenter! Very generous with information and it was very kind of him to allow us to participate.

I really enjoyed the process. I'm looking around for plate holders as I write. (Multitasking).

All I can say, is "What a great process this is!"

Viel Gluck ins Deutschland!

Robert Hall
www.RobertHall.com
Robert Hall View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 16:42
OH, BTW, I do have black paws! lol
Robert Hall
www.RobertHall.com
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 12:18
Q,

Great pix and another great presentation. I've been out of touch because I'm
currently in London on the tail end of a 3-week trip that began with teaching
a gum-platinum workshop in Scotland. I've been asked to return next year
to teach gum-platinum again in Scotland and Wet Plate in London... Hoping I
can work out all the logistics. Perhaps AltPhotoSource Europe will be able to
supply materials!?

Good luck with your move!

Kerik
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
quinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 12:40
Hey Kerik,

Thanks man! It's good to see you around here again. Life can be busy, I know!

That's great about your UK deals! Congrats! And as far as AltPhoto Source (Europe), plan on it, it's already in the works.

I'll be doing a few workshops there too, maybe we can hookup when you come over. I would really like to do something in Archer's hometown or where he invented the process... just for kicks.

Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
 Post Reply Post Reply