Forum Home Forum Home > Workshops & Events > Workshops & Demonstrations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBarcelona Workshop #1 Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barcelona Workshop #1 Report
    Posted: 26 May 2008 at 06:42

Primero! Muchas gracias por todo ATELIERETAGUARDIA! The best people and the best space I've ever experienced.

I'm in Barcelona. I arrived on Thursday and started the first, of two, workshops on Friday. It's Monday morning now and I'm happy to report that the workshop was very successful (not due to me, but rather to the ATELIERETAGUARDIA Studio and the students!).

There was a great group of creative and talented people in attendance; Rebecca, Israel, Arcanglea, Ricard, Marti, Miguel, Seber, Elisa, Esther, Daniel, Diego, Xavier, Bene, Pau, Marc (shot the video) and Esteban. Jean and Summer were there helping me and keeping the workshop and supplies flowing.

I packed all of my chemicals, supplies and dark box. We had the studio's darkroom (which is very large) and the dark box to process plates. The idea was for everyone attending to make a BGA, clear Ambrotype, Tintype/Alumitype and a negative. Although there were only a couple of successful negatives (for POP), everyone had a shot at it. Everyone had a chance to work in the studio's darkroom as well as the dark box. It was a well-rounded hands-on experience. I also tried to share some of library of literature on wet plate - Marti (from the studio) brought out some original books and some re-prints I've never heard of nor seen - it was great. I'll post the resources here on the forum.      

It was a three day workshop (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). That amount of time is perfect for me (and how I teach this process). The first day includes; introductions and aspirations (of the attendees), I introduce myself and talk a little about the process and my history and relationship to it. I share some work (positives, negatives, POP, etc.) and allow everyone to see and handle an example of each subset of the process. They can ask questions, dispel myths and, most importantly, see what resonates with them (esthetically) with each (subset) process.  

After the "comprehensive introduction", I move into the equipment and supplies, I describe each piece of equipment and what it's for and why I chose to use that particular design. This includes beakers, bottles, scales, everything. The students get a chance to see what I use and decide (after they see the whole process) if it makes sense for them (sometimes, they have much better ideas). I show a variety of lenses and talk about the importance of each variation - focal length, F/stop, style, etc. And, of course, there's a lot of time spent on Q&A.

Next, I move into the chemistry. I describe each chemical and its purpose in the process. After that, I make every chemical used in the process. I talk about substitutes and various formulae for each chemical. I show how I mix, maintain and store each chemical.

Then it's time for a demo - I make a BGA (I usually like to do a portrait if I can). The students see each step of the process, from cutting glass to varnishing. Sometimes, I'll do an Alumitype/Tintype and a negative. This workshop I did one of each. I also make at least one POP print.

I break the students up into teams and one team uses the ATELIERETAGUARDIA darkroom and one uses my dark box. And the work begins.

I'll be teaching another one this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I hope to see you there!

Daniel y Diego...

El groupo!..

Pau's whole plate portrait of me... notice the "W" and "C" ...

Me and Pau... great job!

Marc (videographer)... 5x7 BGA...

5x7 BGA by Daniel of Israel...

Diego, 5x7 BGA...

Xavier, 5x7 BGA, one of my favs....

Portrait of Daniel.. 5x7 BGA...

Portrait of Pau (aka Bob Dylan) by Miguel... 5x7 BGA

Portrait of Gerardo, 5x7 BGA...

Portrait of Xavier y Arcangela... muy guapo! 5x7 BGA..

Portrait of Bene (from Italy)... 5x7 "Benjitype" this is made on a mirror. It was difficult to photograph/scan, but very beautiful in hand.

Summer y Diego with a portrait of Diego Summer made.. 5x7 Tintype.

We had lunch everyday at "Obsession" near the studio. It was incredibly good food and wine. Lunch was 1400 - 1600 cada dia!

A scene in front or the studio - Calle St. Marti...

Miguel checks his time for a negative exposure...

Xavier cleans a plate to make a negative...

Elisa (front) composes a portrait of Esther (back)...

Whole plate negative POP print... gold toned...first print... sitting in the wash tray..

Whole plate negative POP print gold toned.. second print... sitting in the wash tray..

More to come.....

Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
zmanphoto View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 08:25
Wow Quinn! Thanks for sharing. I like all of the images, but especially the
one of Xavier and Israel. Looks like a fun time!
davidjohnlotto View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 08:51
Thanks Quinn. I especially like the image by Daniel.
davidjohn
platinum/palladium/collodion
www.davidjohnlotto.com
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 23:55
Congratulations Quinn! What a great experience for all.
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
CarlRadford View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 00:42
Looks like you had a great time - some great images!
Mascaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 09:01
After spending a few days with all the guys in Barcelona I can thoroughly recommend Quinn's workshops to any photographer wanting to start in the wetplate process.

Not only is Quinn extremely knowledgeable but is also able
to share his knowledge selflessly...he is also one of the nicest
guys you could possibly meet.

BSchwab View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 12:00
Wow! "Xavier" !!!!!!!!
www.billschwab.com
toydesign View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 05:01
Awesome Quinn! Thanks for sharing the experience...
I appreciate hearing how you structure the workshop as well...
Looks like a great experience for all involved.

-Greg
-Greg

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity"

"Great artists doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."
rado View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 12:02
I just came home from this workshop and all i can say is WOW !
The people from ATELIERETAGUARDIA are great and were very helpfull and hospitable, they have an excellent studio and created a relaxed and creative atmosphere for the workshop. Everything was so good, it's unbelievable.
Quinn is a nice and knowledgeable tutor with a great sense of humour. He shared and shared his experience with us, giving us a great start in this old craft.
I'm so sorry that my english is to poor to express all my emotions and feelings about this.
I can only recommend Quinn's workshops to anyone who is willing to do collodion !
Thank you Quinn, thank you ATELIERETAGUARDIA !
This was an experience i will remember forever.
quinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 23:40
Thank you (everyone). The kind words of Miguel and Rado are greatly appreciated. You guys are the reasons the workshops were so successful!

I had an incredible time. If I get a chance later today, I'll post a second report (from Rado's group) of images and work.

Again, execellent job everyone! There are 22 new wet plate artists in the world now! We're all looking forward to seeing NEW WORK!
Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
 Post Reply Post Reply