Author
Adminstrator
Adminstrator
Forum Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collodion-Chloride Printing Paper Workshop
    Posted: 16 February 2011 at 02:19
Greetings,

Mark asked if I would post this for him. It looks like a great workshop. He said he had a couple of places still open. I would attend this, if I could. This is a great alternative to the Centennial POP hole left from the Chicago Albumen Works company - in fact, it sounds better.

Collodion-Chloride Printing Paper Workshop:  March 14-16, 2011

Learn the collodion chloride printing process [originally called the Simpsontype and later the Aristotype] at George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film. This is the first public workshop for the most archival silver halide printing process ever invented. Used from the mid-1860 to the late 1930s it's perfectly suited for collodion, gelatin emulsion or digital negatives. Unlike wet collodion, Collodion Chloride is an emulsion process; there is no silver bath. The mixed emulsion has a long shelf life, so it's ready to pour when you want to coat a few sheets of printing paper. The workshop is taught by process historian Mark Osterman. Like all George Eastman House process workshops, this workshop includes illustrated lectures on the history & chemistry, hands-on technique and inspection of rare original collodion-chloride photographic prints in the George Eastman House archives.

For those interested in the Dry Collodion Negative Workshop at Fox Talbot Museum, Laycock Abbey, Wiltshire this July, it is sold out. We are however taking names for a possible workshop the next week if we can fill the class. The Dawn of Photography [photogenic drawing] workshop has a few spaces left.

For registration for the collodion chloride workshop and information on our other unusual historic process workshops go to: http://www.eastmanhouse.org/Main/events/series/photo-workshops

Image: Nelson Camp, gold toned collodion-chloride print from 8x10 wet collodion
negative by Mark Osterman 

Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 08:54
Great process. But I wonder where he is finding the Baryta paper since it is no longer available in rolls from Photographers Formulary? I bought three rolls and then went back for more and they said it would no longer be available. 
admin View Drop Down
Adminstrator
Adminstrator
Forum Board Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 10:59
Mark said, "There is no steady source for baryta paper as far as I know...There are some subbing alternatives and you can also coat your own baryta, [barium sulfate, gelatin, glycerin and/or sugar and chrome alum] which we will cover in the workshop. But it will never be as smooth as the factory made stuff, because they run the paper though calendar stacks."
J0B00 View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 11:18
You can use fixed our RC and Fiber paper as well..... Not as cheap, but will do in a pinch I guess...
Robert View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 14:47
That's a great price for a workshop with Mark.
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 13:52
Wow, beautiful print. Too far away for me right now, but looks very interesting.
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
caflaric View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 02:42
Fantastic.... but in Europe????
flavio
 Post Reply Post Reply