Collodion Photography Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Workshops & Events > Workshops & Demonstrations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStudio Q in Denver, Colorado - Event Date: 03 September 2011 - 04 September 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adminstrator
Adminstrator
Forum Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Studio Q in Denver, Colorado
    Posted: 01 July 2011 at 15:51

Greetings,

As many of you know, I recently moved from Europe back to America. It’s been trying, expensive and tiring but I made it.

First off, let me say it’s good to be home. And thank you to all who have gone out of their way to welcome me back. I’m feeling good, however, I’m still adjusting and settling in – it’s a process, not an event.

I moved to Denver, Colorado. Denver is a beautiful city with a lot going on. It’s a city that will surprise you (it surprised me). There’s still a “wild west” feeling here, but it can feel very cosmopolitan in areas, too. It’s lacking nothing; the people are great, the weather is perfect (can you say heliographic arts?) and you can find anything you want. I have to emphasize the light here - it's amazing. We're the closest to the sun (5,300 ft) so I know the processes will love it here.

Denver is very progressive and quite liberal, too. There’s legal medical cannabis (cannabis shops all over), no helmet law for motorcycles and you can ride a Vespa here like a bicycle – no tags, no license and it can park on the sidewalk. That’s just to name a few. I believe that adulthood should be legal, so it feels like my kind of city.

Like I said, the people here are very friendly and there is nothing lacking in ethnic foods and culture downtown. It’s still America, but I’m very happy to be in Denver.

The heliographic arts in Denver: I have secured a large (2300 sq foot) studio in the RiNo Art District in Denver. It’s a beautiful space and has six large skylights (the ceilings are 30 feet). I will be setting it up to work in it and teach in it. There are some beautiful spaces close to mine. There’s some great gallery space and a lot of space to fellowship in and hang out (take a break). I couldn’t be happier about the space.

I’ll be offering courses in all three processes; Daguerreotypy, Calotypy and Wet Collodion, along with Albumen, Salt and other POP processes. I’ll also be open to the community (gallery strolls) for public performative lectures as well as private demos to schools, historians and other groups.

My first course is set for September 3 – 4, 2011. This may be in conjunction with a “grand opening party” for Studio Q in Denver. I’m not sure yet, we’re still working out the details for that. It should be a wonderful party in a beautiful space.

Over time, I hope to offer some amazing courses and work with the local colleges and universities offering internships, advanced photo courses to students and integrate these forgotten processes back into higher education and the art community. I also have some European students that want to come for a few months at a time as well as American students. My goal is to offer the complete education in the heliographic arts in one gorgeous space in the (almost) middle of America.

So, if you are interested in attending a workshop, or want to come and visit, I’m open to all/any of that. The courses will be limited to four students, please let me know if you want to attend one and I’ll keep a place for you – there will be a link on my site to signup, too.

Again, I’m happy to be home! And I look forward to meeting a lot of you that I’ve known for years but only through the forum or email.

Studio Q / Quinn Jacobson Photography
3519 Brighton Boulevard Unit G
Denver, Colorado 80216

Thanks to Chris Perez for hooking me up with the space. It’s perfect!

Eddie View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 16:04
Welcome home.

Good luck.

Next time i am through denver I will have a look.

Eddie
alex from holland View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 16:57
Quinn,

all the best !
Pitty i can't make the grand opening party .......  LOL

Alex
You don't take a picture, it's given to you.
Alex Timmermans

My wetplate blog
My website
BarryS View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 18:37
Congratulations!  It sounds like you have a beautiful set-up and Denver is a nice city.  Great Divide Brewing, Kobe sliders and sushi tacos at TAG--yum!  Great location too--mountains and high desert nearby, and easy to drop down to NM.
erwin verstappen View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 20:03
all the best & good luck!

erwin
Goamules View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2011 at 06:52
Great to hear you enjoying things here.  
Garrett
Occupational Technologist, Avocational Luddite
Flickr Gallery
luphot View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2011 at 13:19
It seems to be a exiting new experience.
I wish you the best!
Greet Chris on behalh of me.

luphot
admin View Drop Down
Adminstrator
Adminstrator
Forum Board Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 19:00
Thanks (everyone)! It's going to be a great place to live and work. I bought a house just a couple of blocks from The Great Divide Brewery - may be our watering hole. The house is a 5 minute bicycle ride from the studio, too. 85 walk score! Good stuff.

For those that have sent me email about the September workshop and Opening Party - yes, the party will be on September 2 (First Friday Gallery Stroll RiNo) and I will post the detailed info on www.studioQ.com (and link it here) in the next 10 days.

Thanks, again everyone. Remember, you're always welcome to drop in and say hi and check out what the studio has to offer!
tuant View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 22:34
Great!  Denver is always closer to me than Utah:)  I will stop by one day and say hello.  Wish you great success in Denver!

Tuant
caflaric View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 02:37
Congratulation Quinn!!!

flavio
Kerik View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 10:46
Bravo! Denver is a great city for the photo arts. Thanks in no small part to Mark Sink. Good choice, Q-man.
Kerik Kouklis
Platinum/Gum/Collodion
www.kerik.com
 Post Reply Post Reply