Collodion Photography Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Workshops & Events > Workshops & Demonstrations
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: The Wet Plate Collodion Process with Will Dunniway
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Wet Plate Collodion Process with Will Dunniway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Subscriber
Subscriber

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Wet Plate Collodion Process with Will Dunniway
    Posted: 26 April 2012 at 17:08
September 1-6, 2013
Will Dunniway
"The interplay of old glass, chemicals, wood, brass, weather, and immediacy of  development is a dance, a rhythm . . .a flow, mixed with luck and sweat speaking about the past, present and to the future . . .is wonderful to me. This is a language modern photography, for the most part, no longer speaks. I am not threatened by digital cameras, as many traditional photographers are, I recall a time when others like myself were seeing this new thing called "film" and worrying about the end of their craft.'Modern' and 'technology' are relative terms that speak more about the society that created them than the actual devices themselves. For me, the dialog between old and new, film and digital, silver gelatin and ink jet, is largely irrelevant. What is real to me is when the pouring of collodion on glass comes together with the capturing of an image inside an old box made of wood, glass, and cloth. It's then I feel a kinship with those who have come and gone long before I walked the earth. " Veteran west coast Collodion artist, Will Dunniway.

Students will learn the making of ambrotypes (glass direct positives) and tintypes (Ferrotypes, tin plate direct positives), and glass negatives.  Students are guided through the process step-by-step from the mixing, pouring, exposing and development of plates poured with wet collodion. The newest edition of the manual, Making the Wet Collodion Plate in 16 Steps manual by Will Dunniway is included along with some materials in the course fee as specified by The Photographers Formulary. Their is a lab fee by the Formulary. This is specified upon your registration.

No cameras please. Students will use two original wet plate collodion camera's with 1860-70 lenses. This collodion workshop features 4 full days of intensive hands-on training in the making of ambrotypes, ferrotypes (tintypes), and glass plate negatives. Each student will make and take home at least a six or more self-portrait/still life tintype/ambrotypes and or collodion glass negatives.  

Note: If you wish to convert a dry plate camera using dry plate film holders, these can be adapted in most cases for you, or we will attempt to instruct you how to convert your back for wet plate use.

Note: All workshops are subject to minimum signups. Therefore, workshops may be cancelled due to low attendance. You shouldn't make any travel plans (plane tickets, lodging, etc) that can't be changed.

Workshops in Montana 

7079 Hwy 83 N,
Condon Montana 59826
406-754-2891 or 800-922-5255

Post Reply Post Reply